Friday, March 4, 2011

Unassuming message...

Have you ever been to a church and not really expected to hear a good sermon?  I travel to a lot of churches this time of year and I hear a lot of different pastors and speakers.  My experience at smaller churches is the preaching usually is not very good.  Two weekends however, proved me wrong!  I traveled up to First Baptist Church in Detroit Lakes.  This is a small church with a RICH history of ministering in the area, and partnering with Camp.  The pastor is Jim Hinson.  Like I said, I was not expecting to hear anything spectacular or life changing, yet Becca and I were really surprised by what Jim spoke about.

Jim opened with the question, For what reason did the son of man come into the world?  He asked us to answer out loud what we thought the answer was.  My first thought was, "The Son of Man came to seek and save the lost," Luke 19:10.  I thought I had it!  This was not the direction the sermon went though.  There were shouts of other ideas, but none seemed to satisfy the pastor.  He answered the question for us from John 18:37, "Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.'"

Jesus came to testify to the truth.  His point in giving this sermon was there is ONE truth.  Anything opposed to that truth or not in full agreement with that truth is a lie, and therefore untruth.  At the end of the sermon, Jim referenced quite a few verses testifying to the truth.

What is the truth?  The truth is:  We are a sinful people who can never attain holiness apart from God.  Only through Jesus will we ever be able to be reconciled fully with God.  Without Jesus, there is no hope.  Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. 

Plain and simple.  Jesus is truth, NO ONE ELSE. 

In His service, Crazy Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment