Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ahh...The Simple Life

No, I am not referring to the Paris Hilton Reality TV Show...Sorry to dissapoint!

I am talking about this morning.  Our power went out at 1am.  Becca was up and reading when the event happened.  She woke me up and informed me it is my duty as a husband to find candles and the lighter, mind you, I have been asleep since 10pm.  If you are not currently in the state, we are getting hammered by a snow storm! (Which caused our power outage)

I woke up at 6 with no power still.  It is hard to make coffee with no electricity.  Only after a few unsuccessful attempts did I give up trying!  As I sat in darkness I was struck by the realization of how much I depend upon modern commodities.  Without certain commodities, like electricity and heat, life proves to be difficult; an interesting note though, life is not dependent upon having electricity or a propane powered boiler.  The thought continued this morning to my relationship with God.  Do I view my relationship with God as a commodity or a necessity?

Is the time I spend with God a sacrifice I make because I can do it, or is it something I do because I need to do it?  An honest answer to that question right now is: I do it because I know I should, not because I would fall apart if I did not do it. 

Believe me, I want to get to the point where my survival through the day is based upon the time I spend with Him.  But how do I get there?

What about you?  Is your relationship with God something you need every day?  Any advice on how to get there?

In His service, CrazyPete

No comments:

Post a Comment